Tuesday, January 28, 2014

We're getting goats!!

Maybe we are crazy, but we are getting us some goats this Spring! We've had them before, but not very long. So it's kind of like a new adventure and I'm so excited! We are getting two Nigerian Dwarf Goats in May all ready to be milked. One will need to be dried out after a month of  her being with us to prepare her for having kids in August!

We have yet to build our stalls and supply our barn (plenty of time right? I need to keep telling myself that because it's currently -27* out and I just want to get it all done NOW!) for their grand entrance.

These are our beauties, meet Charolette and Ginger:




Our biggest drive behind THIS crazy adventure is because our children can't seem to handle dairy (cows) milk. They get tummy aches and rashes and just plain old don't feel good. And I just love me some goats. Especially Nigerians, being the littlest of the goat world. They don't give quite as much milk as the bigger breeds (like Nubians or Alpines, etc) but they have the highest butterfat at 8%-10% (think super creamy!) compared to the average 3% of the larger breeds. I can't wait to update more on our goat adventures, with our accomplishments and failures (you know-so you can learn from our mistakes).

These ladies' current owner has recommended me to check out this site; http://fiascofarm.com/ for everything I've ever wanted to know about goat keeping. I've also been told to get Goat Health Care by Cheryl K. Smith and a catalog from Hoegger Goat Supply Co.

Until next time!
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment